Your guests and family will marvel at the authentic Italian flavours of this mouth-watering dish. Ciao down on this steak tagliata – that’s amore. And complement this hearty dish with an Italian wine from the award-winning Anthonij Rupert Wyne, their Terra del Capo Sangiovese.
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 30 ml olive oil
- 45 ml capers, drained
- 700g-800g beef fillet, rump or sirloin
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 5 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 125 ml balsamic vinegar
- A handful of sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 15 g wild rocket, washed
- 50 g Parmareggio 24-month matured Parmigiano Reggiano shavings
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small pot and deep-fry the capers for a couple of seconds or until crispy. Remove from oil, drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Place beef in a glass bowl and rub with olive oil, crushed garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Heat a frying pan until hot and sear beef until golden brown on all sides.
- Transfer to a roasting tin and place in oven for 12 min. for medium rare, or until done to your liking. Remove from oven, transfer beef to a cutting board and allow to rest for 10 min.
- Place roasting tin over medium heat and deglaze with balsamic vinegar and sugar. Allow to simmer until thickened slightly.
- Slice meat thinly and arrange neatly on a platter. Pour over the hot balsamic vinaigrette.
- Garnish with sun-dried tomatoes, wild rocket, Parmesan shavings and deep-fried capers.
Before you serve this dish, make sure every guest’s glass is filled with Terra del Capo’s superb Sangiovese.