In true Muratie style, where the culture of food and wine is an intrinsic ingredient of the Melck family’s history and life at Muratie today, Annatjie Melck, foodie legend and chatelaine of Muratie, has provided her much-loved Marrow Bones on Toast recipe for a perfect pairing with Muratie’s Mr May Grenache Noir.
You need the middle sections of the long bones (ask your butcher for 5cm lengths)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 230˚C
- Rinse the marrow bones thoroughly under cold water
- Dry thoroughly with kitchen paper towel
- Cover an oven pan with foil and place marrow bones on top
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the bones and bake for 15-20 minutes
- Marrow bones are cooked when the marrow starts pulling away from the bone and the clear fat starts to drip from the bone
- Remove pan from the oven and let it cool down slightly
- Use a knife to remove the marrow from the bones and spread is on toast
- Add a little salt according to your liking and serve immediately
Enjoy with Muratie’s Mr May Grenache Noir!